Flexible PCB, self-adhesive, component adapters

in dev boards, Development, PCBs by Ian | 6 comments

Protoflex is a set of flexible circuit board stickers for SMD development. Peel off a footprint, stick it on 0.1″ protoboard, and solder surface mount parts directly on the sticker. Brilliant use of flexible PCBs.

Thanks Kelvin! Via contact form.

This entry was posted in dev boards, Development, PCBs and tagged , , .

Comments

1. EquinoXe says:

I wanted it until I saw the price..
    Nah..

2. Matt Casey says:

Me too. Great idea. Terrible price.
    Seeedstudio have a nice cheap PCB prototyping service so I’d prefer to make my own add a bit of kaptan tape and some superglue. They wouldn’t be flexi of course. But a damn sight cheaper.

3. PN-Lab says:

It’s ingenious :D Expensive, but why not try doing it yourself?

4. Stendall says:

I Came here to comment with the same idea on mind and I realize I’m not the only one.
    Too expensive for prototyping.
    A little more money and you can order test PCBs to a decent PBC maker.
    On the other side, this flexible boards looks great, but why I will spend that amount of money in something that is going dump to junk in matter of days?.

5. WestfW says:

I agree with the “Sticker shock” comments.
    I wonder if one could reduce the price while providing most of the benefits just by using the thinnest “standard” PCB materials available instead of “flex.” It seems that the layouts are nice, and the alignment trick is neat, and self-adhesive is interesting. But all that should work OK with, say, 0.5mm FR4, and I’ve seen FR4 thinner than that (Electronics Goldmine has some 10mil DS stock, and I’ve bought 6.25mil SS from an ebay seller.)

6. Joe Desbonnet says:

Has anyone used SOIC sockets? I see they exist, but I’ve never heard of anyone using them for prototyping work.