Brain wave monitor with Arduino + Processing

Frontier Nerds have been experimenting with brain wave tech as part of their Mental Block project.

In this well documented project they take the headset from Mattel’s Mind Flex game and hack it to communicate with an Arduino board to measure brain waves and display their levels graphically on a PC via Processing. They chose the Mind Flex device because the board gives access to the FFT of the waves and the relatively low hardware cost.

In addition to the hardware, you need the Arduino Brain Library, Processing Brain Visualizer and the controlP5 Processing GUI Library (required for the visualizer). These libraries, full source code and schematic are provided.

This entry was posted in Arduino, hacks, measurement, Processing and tagged , , .

Comments

1. Kelly G. says:

I viewed the video, and that left me asking this, can or is it possible to modify the mind flex headset and arduino to not only read and graph brain waves but can this set up utiize the wearer’s brainwaves to run something major, like a speech synthesizer?
    If it can, then people with locked in syndrome would be able to at least communicate with the world around them without spending buckets of money on a system that tires their eyes. This would be sooo very cool indeed.

• Ignacio C. says:

it’s nice to know someone though that too, but to do something like that it would be difficult and will require training, you can easily make a program that reads specific patterns out of your brain, but the high complexity nature of the brain is like to generate different patterns and it could fail catching the desired message, I think with training to establish a properly made protocol between the brain and the device it could be possible somehow (:

2. T.S.Praveen says:

Hi sir. My idea about this is, I went through many websites about brainwaves, i want to create a tv remote which is controlled by brainwaves. I don’t know to proceed. Using electrodes,i can capture eeg waves. but i don’t know how to decode it. can you help me?. thanks

3. Kelly G says:

On my earlier comment, I didn’t mention that I was considering some form of storage device for the speech data ie phonemes and allophones but you are correct in stating that it calls for a lot of code to be written it also might require a bigger, faster microprocessor than the arduino.

4. chackochan says:

using arduino can we design a system where we can use the brainwaves to do a specified thing at a particular frequency. Brainwaves vary from 1-10hz which is very feable but can we make use of it.
    Please reply

5. Kelly Graham says:

While brain wave signal strength is very small I think somewhere in the mVolts, they can be amplified ,and this could allow some some really cool science to happen.

6. chackochan says:

can anybody suggest me a processor name to process the frequency captured.Any DSP processor would do but it should be faster..