Saturday solder envy

in skills by Ian | 10 comments

Markus shared this photo of hand-soldered 0.4mm pitch clips from ChaN. Check out ChaN’s numerous projects and amazing soldering skills.

This entry was posted in skills and tagged , .

Comments

1. DrF says:

That is skill, I don’t think I would be able to do that without making a right mess. I have trouble as it is :p

2. asdf says:

I’ve been wondering how are those wires isolated? Is the isolation burned on soldering? Amazing skills, I couldn’t do that ever, maybe only with some precise robot, and that would take waaaay more time :D

3. Zdravko says:

Awsome work!

I though I’m too good when I hand-soldered my first TSSOP package on the PCB’s pads… this guy definitely doesn’t need SMD prototype PCBs ;)

Respect!!!

4. octal says:

@asdf
    he used wrapping cables, these are isolated cables.

Respect for him. Very clean and precise work.

5. mrdata says:

you’d need a small solder tip, and a steady hand, to accomplish this. it’s a superhuman ability

6. bearmos says:

a stereo microscope (or at a minimum the magnifying glass from a set of “helping hands”) helps as well. . . it’s much easier to solder what you can actually see! i’ve tacked a few pieces of wire wrap onto fine pitch IC’s before for debuggging/rework, but certainly nothing to this extent!

7. J. Peterson says:

The guy is truly a soldering master. He writes a bit about his technique here, but I’m sure it takes good tools and serious practice to do successfully.

The insulation on the wire he uses burns off as he solders, so there’s no stripping required.

8. 7 says:

that is an excellent skill…

9. Vadim says:

God, that’s nice work.
    I can, and have done 1mm pitch devices before, and it was stressful.
    I’m not sure I’d attempt anything smaller, not to mention .4mm

I use magnet wire for repairs and such, nice stuff.